- Spend a while driving your car to gain figure out how it works in the real world.
- Divide your trip up into segments.
- Map out charging stations.
- Keep an eye on alternative routes in case a charging station isn't working or is no longer there.
- Find the fastest charging station.
Getting the Most from Your Electric Vehicle or: 2012 EV Hypermiling Best Practices
Not too long ago, Consumer Reports picked up a new Ford Focus Electric. It has a 76-mile range; the publication had to drive it 100 miles. Something had to give. So the publication drove it as far as it realistically thought it could, ran out of battery power on the way home, tucked its tail in between its legs, and had a trailer carry it the rest of the way back from New York to Connecticut. Way to throw in the towel, guys. A 100-mile trip with an electric car should be seen as a challenge, not a burden. With that in mind, the folks a Torque News made a quick list to help maximize electric car range. It is as follows:
You know the old joke about calling over your kids to program the VCR?