Our questions for the upgrade process were equally straightforward: Is the USB upgrade easy to follow, or would we be better off going to the dealer? Would the new voice command structure be easier to use, and return quicker results, or is the upgrade an overhyped patch for software that was too poorly designed in the first place?
The instructions were remarkably simple: "Vehicle must be turned on, running and in Park." Pretty much the essence of plug and play, and you can even drive your vehicle during the process (so long as you don't remove the USB device, or turn the vehicle off).
- You will not be able to use your media player, the SYNC/MyFord Touch system or phone (including 911 Assist) until the upgrade is complete.
- The rear view camera (if equipped) will not function during parts of the upgrade process.
- Audio will revert to a previous source during the upgrade. Please set the volume to a low but audible level before you start.
- The right cluster screen will not function normally.
- Climate controls will still be accessible by using the conventional buttons on the instrument panel.
Sure enough, my audio system reverted to AM radio, and I was glad I heeded the volume advice, as college basketball was the last thing I wanted to listen to. Later, I found that it was possible to change the volume and even media sources from the buttons on the steering wheel, if you had previously saved channel presets, though scrolling and tuning were still unavailable. Hmm, I thought they would have been deleted in the process?
I still don't know what happened, and I can't explain why it bricked. And it's not like the instructions were hard to follow, and I've had Drill Sergeants instill in me the fear of god for following instructions to the smallest detail. But in this instance, it's as simple as turning the car on, leaving the transmission in Park, and then plugging in the USB device. How do you mess that up?
And that was it.
- The Outside Air Temperature Display has been moved to the right cluster screen.
- AM/FM Browse is no longer available.
- The 3-D Carousel function for USB media has been deleted.
- Wallpaper is now utilized on the main Home Screen, eliminating the Shortcut Home Screen